Wednesday, January 2, 2008

4 weeks to go!

On February 3 2008 I fly out of Auckland with my sights set on the continent known as the 'White Man's Grave', i.e. Africa. I am writing this blog for the purpose of allowing people to get a taste, if somewhat mild, of the adventures and challenges I have ahead of me, to share my thoughts, feelings, insights, and reflections with anyone who cares, and to remind people that I am still alive.

I am heading to a small mission station in the southern Omo Valley, South Ethiopia. It is very remote, very isolated, and very different from everything I know. Very Africa. As a nurse, my main responsibilities will be health-related, but I imagine I will be utilised in every way possible. I like to think I am a man of many talents, without blowing my own trumpet too loudly, so will likely find myself doing a lot more than vaccinations and health check-ups.

Truth be told, I have no idea what I will be doing, or what the hell I am getting myself in for! I am going from almost complete comfort and knowledge of my environment to a world that is so different in so many ways. A world that is not viewed through the same lenses, where life is not seen the way I see it, where God is not seen the way I see Him, or worshiped the way I worship Him. A world we would like to think we have some understanding of.

In saying that though, I am also going to a place where there are other people who God also made in His image, who love as I do, even if they don't live as I do. People who have an incredible amount to teach me and who are blessed to live in one of the most harshly contrasting continents in the world.

They are a huge part of the reason I go. To meet these strange and wonderful people, to live with them, to offer them what I have to give, and to be changed by what they have to give back.
I also go because I am selfish and want the adventure of a lifetime. I want to see a different world on the same planet. I want to be challenged and changed and broken and remade. I want to have my eyes opened.

I also go because this person called Jesus has put in me the heart of an adventurer. He has given me a passionate and compassionate heart. He has told me there are greater things to strive after than riches or fame or possessions. As a follower of this Jesus, I go to invest in people, as He chose to invest in people.

I will endeavour to keep my thoughts and words flowing as I can. It will be difficult with limited communication at the station, but I will update whenever possible.

Thank you all for your encouragement, your thoughts, and your prayers.

Blessings

Rowan

3 comments:

adam said...

Hey Rowan, Very excited to hear what you are up to. Will certainly be praying for you and watching this space to hear what you are up to

Bless ya bro

Adam Harris

jaime said...

You are inspiring Rowan Sims! can't wait to hear more :)

Unknown said...

Rowan, may Jah guide and strengthen your mission. Ethiopia is blessed land and it sounds like you are going with the sort of spirit and attitude that will see you right in this adventure.
Ethiopia is one of the oldest Christian nations in the world and the Royal line of Ethiopia traces it's lineage back to the union of Solomon and Sheba. I'm sure you will find being steeped in such deep roots inspiring and enriching.
The Omo area you are heading to looks like it contains a rich diversity of tribal groups. It will be very interesting to read your impressions and experiences.
Bless up
Diane Vuletich