Saturday, April 5, 2008

I can't leave

I've spent the last few weeks here in Ethiopia struggling through the prospect of staying on for a further 3 months. Since day one here I have had people trying to recruit me to stay or go here, there, and everywhere! It's been an incredibly difficult decision, but after a lot of thought, discussion and prayer, I decided to pass the buck and let God make the decision for me. In other words, I've gone ahead and started the application process, trusting Him to open or close that door. This approach has always worked very well for me in the past, and it allows Him to make it very clear where He wants to lead me. He has proven He has a sense of humour, though, as before I even got the application in, He was eliminating all the potential excuses I have and could use. Two out of three of the biggest barriers to me staying on He took care of without my even asking!

In other words, it looks like I'll be staying on here for a further 3 months (until the end of August). Part of me is super excited about it. It will be an amazing experience, and will be good for my nursing skills and knowledge. It will also give me a chance to see whether or not I have the ability to run a clinic and maybe develop some management/administrative skills. Part of me is also gutted to not be coming home to see all the people I love. I have had to consider that a lot, but I can't let that dictate whether I follow the Spirit's leading. I have also had to look at this through the lens of the reasons I came here in thefirst place. Through that lens, the decision seemed a lot clearer and I have felt a real peace about it.

I am beginning to see how He has been guiding since I've arrived here. The place I will go to fill in for 3 months is the place I was supposed to go for the initial 3 months. He sees so much more than we do and He is the grand composer of our lives. When we choose to put them in His hands, they are stretched and grown and broken, but He does a far greater job with them than we ever could.

If you would like to check out a few of my photos from Ethiopia, check out this link:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=22895&l=e138d&id=542653176

Thank you all again for your thoughts, prayers and words of encouragement.

Peace and love

Rowan

2 comments:

MsMelza said...

Rowan!

oh my goodness it just sounds so amazing! your blueprint whanau & your real one are missing you but are so stoked to hear what god is doing. Thinking of you and praying for you.

Melza

Sophie Smith said...

Hey Rowan - nice to see the messages to Africa are the other way round this time. Sounds like you are having a life changing time. God is awesome huh:)

Sophie Smith